Imagine you’re 12 years old, at home watching tv, ears pricked up as you hear your dad pulling into the driveway. Every part of your nervous system listening to the revving of the engine, the slam of the car door, the keys in the front door.
All these things might be the difference between being greeted cheerfully, being ignored, or being beaten. It doesn’t take long to become an expert at knowing what’s coming.
The levels of sensitivity we develop to these dynamics as kids has a direct impact on what we get triggered by, how we get triggered, whether we fight, run or freeze.
Sadly, many people never get the chance to undo & heal the hurt of abuse and neglect from their childhood, so many of us suffer with emotional blocks, blindspots and triggers for the rest of our lives.
Christian Pankhurst is doing the work to help us heal those wounds.
In this episode, we talk about some practical steps to help you take control of the emotional triggers & untangle our shame through, what Christian calls ‘Heart Intelligence’ (or Heart IQ™)
Here are a few of the highlights:
- Christian’s story [8:00]
- Growing up with a violent father [17:00]
- How to accelerate your self-awareness with ‘circle work’ [19:00]
- The dangers of the dysfunctional, disconnected masculine [21:00]
- A tip for men on tracking their experience for increased self awareness [25:00]
- The critical difference between ‘Triggered’ and ‘Non-Triggered’ energy [30:00]
- A reframing question that can turn your pain into productive forward motion [34:00]
- Book: Insights to Intimacy – Why Relationships Fail & How to Make Them Work
- FREE Guide: “It’s Not What You Think, It’s What You Feel”
- Insights To Intimacy LIVE – 4 Day Retreat with Christian
- The Heart Summit – Feel More, Think Less
- Christian’s website
- Roots Community
- The Relationship School®
- Facebook – Jayson Gaddis Fan Page
- Monogamy & The Smart Couple – Facebook Group
- How to Leave A Podcast Review
Christian Pankhurst is a world-leading authority on heart-centered communication and heart-intelligent relationships. He is the creator of the Heart IQ™ Method, a coaching framework that specializes in group dynamics and intimacy development. This methodology utilizes “circle work” to accelerate personal and group awakening. Christian is the founder of the Heart IQ Academy, an online and live event professional training organization that offers a one-of- a-kind education by combining professional coach training along with embodied application of the Heart IQ principles. The Heart IQ Academy has certified over 300 practitioners in over twenty-five countries.