One of my mentors, Dan Siegel, is back on the podcast for his 3rd interview.
This time, we dive deep into attachment-based parenting. Dan’s work, which my wife and I study intently, is how I parent my own children. The cool thing about Dan is what a nerd he is around research-based approaches and information.
We cover the 4 S’s from his “Power of Showing Up” book. It’s so good.
Check it out and please apply this to your own parenting (if you are one).
Here are a few of the highlights:
- 3:25: Introduction Dan Siegel
- 4:40: How kids’ behavior is different in this day and age.
- 7:30: New parenting challenges
- 14:15: About secure attachment
- 22:00: The 4 S’s
- 24:25: Safety
- 28:05: Seen
- 30:00: Soothe
- 31:10: Security
- 33:10: Attachment and parenting roles
- 38:10: Research about secure attachment in kids and adolescents
- 42:50: It’s possible to provide secure attachment even in parents who didn’t have it
- 45:40: Action step
- Dan Siegel’s website
- The Power Of Showing Up
- Attachment from infancy to adulthood